A huge THANK YOU to everone who took the time out of their weekend to volunteer for this event.
This year for Earth Day, the Benicia Litter Picker Volunteers joined in to collect trash and litter not only from the streets of Benicia, but also in the Industrial Park. Removing this litter from our streets and shorelines prevents toxic waste from reaching our Strait, and helps to maintain our city's natural beauty. The Benicia Litter Pickers also got a mention from the Clean Up Solano organization: Clean Up Solano
What is even more exciting, and simultaneously sad and discouraging, is the amount of garbage our volunteer members collected. We filled up two flatbed trucks! Here are the statistics:
- Total pounds of trash collected: 1081
- Total number of bags collected: 146
- Total number of volunteers: 84
- Miles covered: 43.5
Let's break that down a little further, as we want to recognize the groups and clubs that also joined in on this event.
- The Benicia Lion's Club collected 107 pounds of trash in the Industrial Park.
- Valley Fine Foods collected 152 pounds of garbage in the Industrial Park.
- The Tuesday Club collected 40 pounds of refuse in the Industrial Park.
- The Robert Semple "Girls on the Run" Club collected 36 pounds of garbage around the Robert Semple area.
- Council Member Lionel Largaespada collected 61 pounds of litter from the shopping center areas at the intersection of Rose Drive and Columbus Pkwy. Also, an honorary mention also goes to Ron West for collecting an additional 20 pounds from the same area.
- The Benicia Bicycle Club collected approximately 80 pounds of trash from the Industrial Park.
Here is the link to the map of our volunteer's routes: MAP
And here is the link to some pictures we took at the litter drop off site: Earth Day Pictures
And below are a few more pictures we took: